Who Can Compete
Opera Birmingham’s Vocal Competition is open to all singers aged 21-35 (as of May 15, 2016) who are permanent residents of the United States. Previous first prize winners of the Vocal Competition are ineligible to compete. For more information on Competition procedures, please see our FAQs.
Early Bird: February 1, 2017
Final Deadline: March 1, 2017
All applications must be submitted through the online application via YAP Tracker.
Applications should contain the following:
- Professional resume, including performance experience and education information
- Professional headshot or recent photo
- Non-Refundable application fee: $40 (Early Bird Fee $25); payable through YAP Tracker
- Proof of age (examples include a copy of driver’s license or birth certificate)
- Recordings of two arias with piano accompaniment only (see below for more information)
The application should include a list of five (5) arias the contestant will offer for the Competition.
- Arias should represent a variety of languages and styles, and should include at least one selection in English.
- Arias must be sung in the original key, and should be sung in the original language.
*Applications that are incomplete as of the deadline will not be considered. Opera Birmingham reserves the right to disqualify contestants for any misrepresentation on their applications. All decisions by Opera Birmingham and its judges are final.
Check back for more information
$3,500; an invitation to perform in our Catch a Rising Star concert; plus an invitation to perform a role in a future Opera Birmingham production in the next two years (pending appropriate repertoire)
Audience Favorite Prize