Work For Us
Opera Birmingham is searching for a Company Manager, who reports to the General Director, and is responsible for overseeing the general operation of daily office functions, manage company box office functions, and assist in the planning and implementation of company events and productions. This position generally serves as the first point of contact for patrons, vendors and information coming into the office, and needs to be highly organized and capable of managing multiple overlapping projects. Availability for occasional evenings and weekends is required.
The Company Manager position is a full-time exempt position, including benefits. Interviews for the position will begin immediately, and will continue until a suitable candidate is found. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume (including references) to Keith A. Wolfe, General Director, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bachelor’s Degree in an arts related field, or a minimum of 3 years’ experience in the performing arts (preferred but not limited to opera)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work nights and weekends as required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; knowledge of Vendini or Network for Good systems preferred but not required
- Experience in stage management or other technical aspects of theatre preferred
A full position description will be provided to applicants prior to an interview.
- Database administration – tickets and donor information, including acknowledgement letters and ticket order fulfillment
- Box Office Management – processing sales, contracting additional staff for performances
- Production Management – chorus contracts, principal artist travel and housing, coordinate production design meetings and follow up
- Event Planning and Management – planning and implementation of some patron and donor events, including venues, RSVPs, and artists
- Administrative – processing mail and incoming communications, office supplies
Opera Birmingham holds auditions for chorus and principal artists throughout the year. General inquiries about auditions should go to email@example.com.
Opera Birmingham will be holding auditions in New York City on October 11-13, 2017, including a limited number of slots for non-managed artists interested in roles in future seasons. These auditions will be for the 2018-2019 season, with plans for a chamber opera or concert performance in January 2019, and a mainstage production in March 2019. Repertoire is still in flux, so these will be general auditions. (Please note: All roles for the 2017-2018 season have been cast.)
Application materials (including a resume, headshot, and two recordings of contrasting style) must be submitted by September 1, 2017 to be considered for these auditions. Non-managed artists wishing to be considered for an audition in New York should submit their materials through our YAP Tracker application (found here). An audition notice will be sent to artist managers, and managed artists should have your agent submit your materials for consideration.
House auditions in Birmingham may be scheduled during the year pending the General Director’s availability. To request a house audition, please email a resume and headshot to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include potential dates you would like to be considered for an audition. House auditions generally require the artist to make arrangements for a pianist to play for the audition.
Member of the Opera Birmingham chorus perform in our productions throughout the year, and have the opportunity to participate in our Opera Shots pop-up concerts and other small performances throughout the year.
Auditions for Opera Birmingham's chorus will be held on Saturday, September 9, 1pm-5pm. Interested singers should prepare two classical songs (arias, art song or oratorio) to present during the audition. More information about the auditions, as well as a sign up form to schedule a time, can be found online here.
Please send an email to email@example.com if you have any questions about our auditions, or to be added to our chorus audition list, and we will send a notification when future auditions are scheduled.